Unknown Facts About Dashrath Manjhi
Irony is inescapable for Dashrath Manjhi that nothing is impossible in the world. Dashrath Manjhi was a poor farmer who worked as a manual laborer in Gehlaur village, near Gaya which is in Bihar, India.
Must Read : Unknown Facts About Nawazuddin Siddiqui
Dashrath Manjhi is a man, who carved a path through an enormous mountain using only a chisel and hammer as his tools. In 2006, for his feat, The Bihar government introduced his name for the Padma Shree award. Dashrath Manjhi became popular and known as the ‘Mountain Man’.
Recommended : Manoj Bajpai Unknown Facts
Through this article, we are sharing some facts and unknown thing connected with Dashrath Manjhi’s life.
Dashrath Manjhi’s Unknown Facts
- Dashrath Manjhi was born in 1934 and died on 17 August 2007 at the age of 72-73, while suffering from gall bladder cancer in AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Science), New Delhi.
- Dashrath Manjhi was given to state funeral by the Bihar government.
- Gehlour villagers had to travel 70 kilometers to reach to the nearest town to get medical attention.
- In 1959, Dashrath Manjhi’s wife Falgun Devi died due to lack of medical care.
- In the memory of his wife, he carved a path through a huge mountain so that his villagers could have easier to get to medical care.
- He worked for 22 years (1960-1982) day and night and broke down the hill.
- He shortened the distance from 70 Km to just One Km.
- He carved a path 360 foot long, 25 foot deep and 30 foot wide to form a road.
- To honor his achievement, a hospital in his name is also proposed for serving the villagers
- For his achievement, he became popularly known as the ‘Mountain Man’.
- Filmmaker Ketan Mehta called him the poor man’s Shah Jahan and he has also made a film, ‘Manjhi – The Mountain Man’, based on the life of Dashrath Manjhi.
- Dashrath Manjhi gave exclusive rights to make a film on his life, while he was on deathbed.
- The Bihar government also proposed his name for the fourth highest civilian award “Padma Shree”.
When Manjhi started his work, most of the villagers taunted on him first, there were very few who lent him support by giving him food and helping him to buy his tools. He quoted that, when I started hammering the hill, people called me a lunatic but that steeled my resolve.
Ketan Mehta’s directorial venture Biopic Bollywood film “Manjhi – The Mountain Man” based on the life of Dashrath Manjhi. The movie is produced by Viacom 18 Motion Pictures. Nawazuddin Siddiqui is playing the lead role in the movie as Dashrath Manjhi opposite with Radhika Apte and she is in the lead role in the movie as Dashrath Manjhi’s wife Falgun Devi.